This spectacular green waterfront home has four bedrooms and three full baths. Floor-to-ceiling windows in the main living areas offer panoramic views of Long Island Sound. The empty nest couple that owns this home incorporated spaces that allow them to pursue their special interests and to host friends and family.
With a HERS score of 8, this home comes close to net zero for energy. During the planning phase for this home, the owners became more and more interested in their options to enhance efficiency and sustainability in general.
This home is both Energy Star Certified and LEED for Homes Platinum Certified, the highest level of certification.
- Open plan layout on main floor
- Exterior is clad entirely in clear red cedar
- Master bedroom with beautiful view of tidal inlet
- Wood-burning and propane fireplaces
- Walk-in wine room with climate control
- Customized European kitchen cabinetry
Green Building Approaches:
- Flat roof used for unique adhered, thin-panel PV system to generate electricity
- 9.3kw system generates most of the power needed to operate the home
- Slab-on-grade foundation with 3” of rigid EPS foam under the entire slab
- 2×6 wall framing, at 24” spacing, with 2×3 horizontal interior strapping to reduce thermal bridging
- Exterior walls insulated with 7” of open-cell spray foam
- 12” I-joist rafters reduce thermal bridging
- Rafters insulated with 3” of closed-cell spray foam and 9” of open-cell spray foam
- Acrylic sheathing tapes used to achieve air-tight thermal envelope
- Fiberglass double-glazed windows with suspended film for high thermal performance
- Ground-source heat pump used for space heating and cooling
- Condensing, propane, tankless water heater
- Energy recovery ventilation